Friday, July 18, 2008

Restaurant Review- Hazel's



Tonight while the young'uns were at VBS, Baby Daddy and I decided to go out for some dinner 'cause I didn't go to the store today and I didn't have anything thawed out and because it is Friday and honestly, I am tired. We decided to go to a little family place down in Old Town - "Hazel's". It looked really crowded when we pulled up, but was suprisingly spacious when we went inside. The server who greeted us said, "Yaw jes sit whare-ever you want. Thas the smokin side and this is the non-smokin side. " So we strolled past the stainless steel pie cooler with the glass front ( filled with mile high pie) and got us a seat. Everything was pretty utilitarian, but very clean and neat. There is the pretty typical country decor - magnolia pictures and such. The "waitress" was quick to hustle over and get our drink order. I had , of course, unsweetened tea. I will say a big bonus in their favor was that they did have pink, blue and yellow sweetener, which made the unsweetened tea taste almost as good as sugar tea. ( Most places only have one or two of the three and it really messes me up). BabyDaddy had water, so he had no comment on the drinks.

I ordered some FGT's ( that is fried green tomatoes for y'all not in the know) and was anxious to see how they compared to the best ever ( Lulu's or at home). The tomatoes were good, but they served them with some sort of sauce that was sort of a cross between ranch dressing and tartar sauce - kinda bland for my taste, but then I like stuff to nearly punch me out. With a little WOW they would have been great. I may have to send them the recipe anonymously , of course.

BabyDaddy ordered a seafood platter with some fried shrimp, catfish filets, and two stuffed crabs. It came with fries and slaw. He slurped it all down, so I reckon it was good. I got the fish plate with two catfish filets and turnip greens and cole slaw. ( fiber is my friend). I am a harsh judge when it comes to catfish, because my own little Daddy cooks it the best of anyone I have ever known, living or dead . The fish tasted ok, but the two pieces I got were a little thin and maybe because of that they were cooked a bit long for the thickness. I like it a little bit crunchy, though, so it was passable. I loved the greens - just the right amount of pork essence ( ok, fatback) and salt and I thought maybe a little bit of heat. I didn't try the hushpuppies because I had already had the fish and I didn't need to overdo on the carbs. My daddy makes good hushpuppies too, so there was no point in eating those and adding to my carb load.

When the server came back and asked about dessert, my diabetic conscience immediately said, "No thanks, I am full. " Baby Daddy said that he wanted some pie, so she rattled off the choices......lemon meringe, coconut cream, apple, and pecan cobbler. I ain't never heard of pecan cobbler - not sure how that one would work, but my teeth are rotting just thinking about it. Anyway, he got the coconut, and started smacking away. So , to save him from himself and for the sake of the review, I had to have one little taste. It is good that he was down to the last bite when I jumped in with my tea spoon, cause it was awesome. Down-home places always know pie. They can't make fajitas wortha durn, but pie- they got. That little Carb Devil that is always sitting on my shoulder was about to knock my little Atkins Angel to the floor. I might have fought him for that pie if I had had a monitor with me to see exactly how much I could have without going too high. I only got about a half teaspoon, so I guess it was ok.

When we got the check, we popped up to the register, said "Hey y'all " to some folks we knew from church who had wandered in, and then paid the bill. It was about 30.00. That was with crabs AND pie! Great value, good food, great service. The impression I got was that I had walked into Mel's diner, only Southern style.

I hear they have good breakfast too, so we will certainly be going again, and maybe take the kids next time!

No comments: