Saturday, July 26, 2008

Bummed after shopping for SCHOOL SUPPLIES



How many crayons does one kid need? I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that they are $.30 a box at W*&%mart and we have a case of them now. It is hard to stomach how much stuff we have to buy just to start them off in school. Girl had to have 24 glue sticks. Boy had to have 12. There were more ziplock bags on their supply lists than I use in a YEAR.

Of course, there are new backpacks to find and Girl had to have a new lunch box because her old "new lunchbox" didn't match the new backpack. I can't even tell you how long this discussion went on in the middle of Target this morning. The "old-new lunchbox " was bought in MAY of this year to be used for summer camp. But now it doesn't match and is no longer needed. Problem is, I sort of understand where she is coming from because I like my socks to match my shirt . It is a 70's -80's thing I guess. Needless to say, she now has a lunchbox and backpack with the same colors and pattern as well as a new charm bracelet and a bunch of other stuff that was NOT on the list. I just can't resist when she says, "Mom, just let me 'splain it to you." Believe me when I say that she knows how to get ANYTHING she wants!

Boy has not bought a back pack yet because I am going to get him an industrial strength Tony Hawks one that MIGHT hold up a little better than the ones he had last year. He had one with Darth Vader on it last year and Darth looked rough in no time. Ol' Darth really got beat up on the bus and at the Y.

After the Walmart trip, we were hungry, so we went for some dinner at the Catfish Company. We were going to Hazel's, and I had my WOW in my purse for the FGT's, but Hazel's was closed. Not so sure why, could be a regular thing.

So it was catfish. Much to my delight, they have FGT's too , so I got to have them anyway. I had no qualms at all about taking out my jar of WOW sauce and plopping it right there on the table. The server had a fit saying how much she loved Lulu's. She had never had the WOW, so I gave her the rest of the jar - there was only a couple tablespoons left. I'd have never given up a whole lot of it to a stranger! I bet she is one happy little FGT eating camper tonight. I have a reserve jar at home, but when it is half gone, someone better be planning a trip to the coast. It's good on fish too, and probably chicken or okra ....or just on a spoon! There were some people there from our old church, so we got to visit with them and show off the kids, so it was a good, down-home night.

After we got home, I got two boxes and began divying up the school stuff. Only thing I still need is Boy's backpack and Girl's jumbo package of multi-colored construction paper. I'll get those two items tomorrow and be DONE with it !

Big plans for tomorrow include: moving furniture around so that Aunt Faye's wheelchair will be able to roll around freely in here . Next week is going to be an adventure with them here, but it will be good to see them. We don't see much of Norm's family and I know he wishes we could visit more often....but it is a LONG way up there!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I don't even want to think about this yet. :) SA