Saturday, July 19, 2008

Aldi - Bargain Groceries, great quality


Like everyone else in the world who is NOT a millionaire, our family is really trying to do what we can in cutting back on our spending to account for the increase in fuel costs to get where we need to go. I had known about the Aldi stores for several years, but never regularly shopped there. Now, I go there weekly and buy only very few special items at the other grocery stores and I haven't been to Wal-Mart in over a month. Monumental!
Prices are great at Aldi - generally 30-50 cents cheaper on most things, sometimes several dollars difference. Honestly, I think a lot of the products are the same as the "name brand" because the labels are very similar, just the words are different. I especially like their coffee, dairy products, lunch meat, and snack foods. They have a limited fresh meat selection, but they do have a lot of frozen stuff to choose from. Veggies are a little slim, but those can be had elsewhere. I don't use a lot of canned goods, but they do have about everything you would need. Their bread is really good and they do have some specialty bakery items.
I have been shopping there for about 6 weeks straight now and have never spent over 100.00 at any time. Together with the co-op stuff we buy each month, that makes our grocery bill even out to about 600.00 a month, which is 200.00 less than I used to spend. I think that is pretty good for a family of four with lunches being made every day and includes detergents and other household necessities. Of course, I could probably pare it down more by making more tea instead of buying soda and making the kids eat regular yogurt instead of those fun tubes, but some of those convenience items are WORTH the extra cost.
You do have to "bag your own" at Aldi , but that really isn't so bad. I save the bags from each time and re-use them as I can. I usually just pile all the stuff in the basket, then sort it into bags when I get to the car rather than stand there in the front of the store doing it.
The quality of everything there has been quite good, but I have found one thing that I didn't care for and that was a raspberry vin salad dressing. I am sure that there are those who would like it, but again, I really enjoy a huge bold flavor, and this one didn't have it. I'll probably doctor it up and use it in a chicken marinade or something, but not on salad again.
The guy there today told me that there is a Collierville location opening soon - that one might be even more convenient for us!!!!!

No comments: