Saturday, July 12, 2008

Product reviews



Today I have two food products to review. The first is one that the kids have been BEGGiNG for for about three months and I have only seen it in our grocery today. It is made by Kellog's and is a tube shaped straw of Froot Loop cereal base with an inner lining of flavored sugar coating. I assume that the coating makes the straw hold up a little longer in milk. The straws come packaged in two trays - 24 straws in a box. Suggested serving is 3 straws for 140 calories. I try not to give the kids any more sugar and junk than I have to, but I think that this may be better than giving them three chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk where they can eat the cookies then dump the milk. The milk is integral to the "hook" of this product.


Boy was the test subject, and being the more critical of the two, the best judge of taste and function. He was very happy with the sipping action and did actually eat two of the three straws I gave him. His rejection of the green one had more to do with color than anything else. He ate the red ones and gave the other one to Girl, who will eat anything that won't eat her first.


Price for the box was 3.99, but that may have been on sale. I dn't mind paying .50 a serving for a snack that they will actually eat AND has the added benefit of getting them to drink their milk. Of course, fruit would be better, but I take what I can get!


The second thing is "Organic Girl Berries and Balsamic" Salad kit. This is for me all the way!

I make lunch for Doc and myself several times weekly, and often in the rush of getting away from home in the morning, I am rushed. ( Imagine that) I stopped at the Schnuck's near the office one morning and blew in there looking for something quick that would look appealing and have some nutritional value without a lot of carbs or junk. This fits the bill, although I do add grilled chicken and omit the croutons for me. The berries are dried and add a nice flavor and interesting texture. They do add some carbs, but overall I think that if you only add a teaspoon , you can get the flavor without sending your sugar into the stratosphere. The greens are nice a fresh with crispy romaine and nice spinach and baby spring greens. There are other "flavors", but so far I have only tried this one. The kit was on sale this week for 3.99, and there is a 1.00 off coupon in the package for the next purchase, so I think it is a great value and a nice change from the usual lettuce and tomato salad that you can get at fast food places.

No comments: