Saturday, October 11, 2008

Chicken with Rice "Dressing"

( First of all, this picture may be copyrighted, so if you don't hear from me for a while, you will know that the blog cops came after me and locked me away. )

Doc asked me as he whirled out the door the other day, " Quick, what can I make with some chicken?" I quickly told him about the Chicken and rice stuff we had at my sister's once that I have been making freestyle ever since. It was my intention to write it down for him and email it, but I didn't. I think what he made turned out ok, but here's how I make what I make.

Chicken with "Rice Dressing"

4 large skin-on bone in chicken breasts ( or you could use a whole fryer)
1 large bell pepper
1 large onion
2 tbspoons butter ( or oil)
4-5 cups cooked rice ( brown or white is fine, I use brown success boil-in-bag)
1 cup cooked wild rice ( you can omit this if you like - I often do)
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
sage
poultry seasoning
salt
pepper

1. Boil the chicken in enough salted water to cover until done through. Take it out of the broth to allow cooling. Strain off the broth into jars and store in fridge to make soup or something else.
2. Cook rice according to package directions, set aside in a big bowl .
3. Saute the onion and bell pepper in the butter until softened. Don't you love the smell of that? Sometimes if my house smells doggy, I just saute some peppers and onions - or fry some bacon.
4. When the chicken has cooled, pull it off the bones, discarding bones and skin. Lay it in a big baking dish, covering the bottom. Might be a good idea to spray the dish with some cooking spray.
5. Mix the onions, peppers, soups, sour cream with the rice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, poultry seasoning and sage. The sage is what makes it taste like "dressing". I find that I use a lot of black pepper in this one. If it seems too dry, lob in some more sour cream, or find a can of cream of mushroom soup and pop that in too.
6. Spread the rice mixture over the chicken evenly, then pop it all in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes until all heated through and a little browned on top.

I guess you could add something like some french green beans or broccoli to this if you wanted. I usually just make those as a side dish. You could put cheese on it too if that would help the kids eat it.

Best news about this is that it didn't raise my blood sugar much at all. It was about 86 before dinner and 96 one hour after we ate, so I guess I will keep making this one. The brown rice is really way better than white when it comes to glucose control, but you still do have to watch the portions!!!!

No comments: