Saturday, October 4, 2008

Beans, Beans, Good for your Heart......



......The more you eat 'em, the more you......well, you know the rest. These are the best beans ever. I mean ever. They are made by cajuns in Louisiana and are perfect for making some quick red beans and rice, which we had tonight. I know, you are thinking that RBR is not a very healthy dish for a family such as ours, but I made it lighter and counted up the carbs and it is OK for me and the rest of us too!


The only place you can get Blue Runner beans in town right now is Dollar General . Rumor has it that they will be at Fred's in a couple of weeks. I have heard that on Drake and Zeke practically every day for the last month. Ok, here's how it went down. First, saute a little onion and bell pepper in some oil. Add about a tablespoon chopped garlic and stir. When it is going good, add in a pound of sliced turkey smoked sausage. Cook a few minutes until the sausage starts to brown, then add 3 cans of beans and 1/2 can of water. Mix it up, but be gentle. Those beans are already cooked and they mash really easy. Taste it and add salt, black pepper, and any other seasoning you like. I added salt, black pepper, Clearly Crazy Hot Sauce, Bacon Salt, and a little Cholula.

Let it simmer for a few minutes, then just turn the heat off. I let it sit on the stove for a half hour or so to allow the flavors to meld, then warm it back up and serve over rice.

Tonight I used some "steam in bag " brown rice. As close as I can tell, 1/4 cup brown rice with 1/2 cup beans and turkey had about 30 g carbs. That is not a big serving at all, but it was enough. Did I want more? Yes. But I can have some another day. It was really yummy!!!!

No comments: