Friday, August 15, 2008

The Sandwich

Weight watchers will likely be burning a cross on our yard when word gets out that we had these sandwiches for supper tonight. You can read the full recipe on Pioneer Woman's blog ( see sidebar), but keep in mind that I did it "differnt". I never change ANYTHING in a recipe ( nose growing) but you can make it however you like.


I cooked some peppers in with the onions. Used butter.

Here's the strips of cube steak. Mine actually were little chunks after they started cooking. I am thinking some thin sliced flank steak might work too ( like you might use for fajitas). The meat was also started with some butter.

Just a few other things I used. That is , of course, butter on the left. The other white chunk is some jack cheese. Note how healthy this dish is - there are vegetables, whole grain buns, and dairy . Think that might offset the ....butter??? This is my trusty "grillet", a cross between a grill pan and a skillet. It is deep enough to hold about 2 tablespoons of butter. IN this case, it is a butter/canola oil blend. It takes a bit of heat to toast bread, and I didn't want the butter to burn. You lay the bread butter side down in the hot skillet of butter, let it brown, then turn it over. The recipe said to butter both sides of the bread, but I didn't because I was trying to keep it healthy. I topped ours with the cheese and slid them open-faced under the broiler for a few minutes. When they came out, we chowed down and not one bit was left behind.

Lovely, ain't it?

I only ate this one piece. I won't tell you who ate the rest of it, but the kids had pizza if that tells you anything.

No comments: