Saturday, August 23, 2008

Not What I expected....



We just got back from Tunica and Paula Deen's restaurant and I have to say that it was not exactly what I was expecting. I am not sure what I thought it would be like, but it certainly didn't WOW us like we thought it would. The place was done up like the outside of her house with clap board and windows and the dining rooms were supposed to be like the rooms in the house. I hope her house is a little bit fancier than the buffet!


The food was good, but I didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary. Now, ordinary for this part of the country is fried chicken, catfish, okra, tomatoes 8 ways, and any kind of pig meat you can think of. Paula had all of that, plus a lot more. It was all stuff that I wouldn't need a recipe to make.( Thank you Mama and Mamaw) I tried a bite of quite a few things and I think my favorite of the evening was squash casserole. It reminded me of these squash patties that My grandmother ( Mamaw) made out of leftover yellow squash, egg, flour, onion, and milk. ( See.....don't need a recipe)
I think that the place will do fine down there, but I doubt we will go again any time soon. Probably it would do a door-bustin' business if it were somewhere that cornbread is not on the table at every meal. Maybe New York or LA where there are a lot of dis-placed Southerners hankering for some home style food they recognize.
They did have some decent FGT's , but I had to get some of the prime rib sauce to put on them - they didn't have no WOW!

No comments: