Sunday, August 10, 2008

Pie that I made today


Looks good don't it? Naw, that ain't the one I made, but it does look a lot like that. ( I don't know why this reads like Paula Deen talks). Anyway, I tried some sugar-free coconut pie at a restaurant last week, and while it was pretty good, it was a little "eggy" tasting. I made my own "Sandra Lee "version , using instant pudding mix, coconut flavoring, coconut and a pie crust. It tastes pretty good, but you just can't make it like the real thing without sugar. Guess that is just how it is gonna be. :)
Coconut Pie - No added Sugar
1 - pie crust ( I used a folded refrigerated crust)
3 cups milk
3 boxes sugar-free vanilla pudding
1 cup no sugar coconut ( hard to find, but use sweetened if you can't find it)
2 tsp coconut flavoring
Pre-heat oven to 350. Prick holes in the pie crust with a fork and bake it for about 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
With electric mixer, whip together milk, pudding, and coconut flavoring. When thickened, add flaked coconut and mix in.
Spoon into the cooled pie crust and pop in fridge to set for about 1 hour.
Cut and serve with PLENTY of whipper cream. ( Whipped cream is low carb, even though it does have a fair amount of fat. I use the light version)
If you were making this for company, you could toast a little bit of the coconut and sprinkle it on top of each piece after you whipper cream it. Be careful when you toast the coconut cause it burns QUICK!
The only criticism that I have for this recipe is that the coconut part is a bit heavy. It tastes good, just dense. Next time I make it, I think I am going to put in a little softened cream cheese at the beginning ( just because I like it) , then fold in some cool whip at the end to fluff it up.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That pie sounds pretty good, even if I don't like coconut. You should be writing a food review column for a magazine or paper, if you didn't have to taste test the food.