Thursday, January 29, 2009

Super Chicken Tortilla Soup


I got a recipe request for the Chicken Tortilla Soup that I made the other day, and I have to admit, it was a "Sandra Lee, Semi-Homemade" sorta thing. I like to do things that way because they are fast and taste good too. The trick for me these days has been being able to make stuff that I can actually eat, since I am off of white stuff, i.e. sugar, white flour, potatoes, and rice. Anyway, here's how I did it.
Fill a big pot with 10 cups of water and a little salt. ( I did mine in a cast iron dutch oven)
Add 4 good size boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
Gently boil until they are done. Take the chicken out, set aside. ( You could skip this chicken business if you have a rotissery chicken laying around. )
Strain the broth and return it to the pot.
Stir in the Tortilla soup mix. Turn it on to where it will just simmer.
Add 1 or 2 cans rotel tomatoes.
Chop the chicken and add it back in.
Now is the time to put in whatever you want to add - leftover green beans, rinsed black beans, corn, whatever. I put in a bag of frozen vegetable gumbo mix 'cause I like okra. Some rice might make it good too, but I can't have that.
Let it simmer until it gets all bubbly and everything you put in is done. If it gets too thick, add a can of chicken broth or some water.
Serve in shallow bowls with crushed whole-grain tortilla chips and sour cream. Chopped onion, fresh jalapenos, and shredded cheese make it even better!
Hope that is what you wanted!

No comments: