Sunday, November 9, 2008

One pumpkin = 8 cups puree

Punkin killin'.........continued.


Here's what it looked like coming out of the oven. I used a big spoon to scoop/scrape it off the skin. It was kinda stringy, reminding me of my spaghetti squash disaster.



After a quick spin in the blender, it was the consistency of applesauce. I had to add quite a bit of water to get some action in the blender, so it spent a few minutes in a mesh strainer after the whirling. My food processor sort of self destructed back in the days when I used to grind up a lot of chicken gizzards and livers for the dogs, so I don't have one anymore.

So, end result is 8 cups of lovely pumpkin puree that will make some fab pies or pumpkin bread. I am thinking about sneaking a little in some pancakes for the little people in the morning. I am a little concerned that the water content is going to be somewhat higher than the canned stuff, so I guess I'll have to put it in the strainer again before I use it. The color is a little lighter than the canned product, but that doesn't matter to me.

Another odd fact - my dogs were going nuts when I was scraping the pumpkin meat off the skin, so I gave them some. They LOVED it. They will probably poop orange tomorrow. Oh well......

No comments: