Sunday, November 9, 2008

From the Bowels of my Hard Drive

I have no idea where this recipe came from, but I know I have made it and it was really good, however it has not been done in this kitchen for at least a year due fact that I LOVE it and would eat way too much of it. This is one you can really play with, so add extra stuff if you like. Some browned sausage might make it sort of a german-theme casserole . Hmmmmmm.


Potato Casserole

4 cups frozen O’Brien hash browns
1 (7.6-ounce) package butter and herb mashed potato mix
1 stick butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
¼ cup finely chopped onion
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups boiling water
2 cups canned French-fried onion rings
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Bring a pot of water to the boil and add the hash browns. Cook for 5 minutes and drain. In a large bowl, mix together the cooked hash browns, mashed potato mix, butter, cream cheese, jack cheese, sour cream, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Stir in the boiling water. Place in a greased 2-quart casserole dish. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Sprinkle the onion rings over the casserole and bake for about 5 to 8 minutes longer until onions are golden brown.

Ok, that is the “official “ recipe. Here is what I do to make it better. I can give you the secret in one word…….wait for it……..b….a…..c….o….n. Yes……bacon. I cook a few slices of bacon and crumble on top with the onion rings. Serve this with some fried chicken and black eyed peas and you can die happy!

No comments: