Sunday, November 9, 2008

Betsy's request


Betsy wrote me and said she needed a recipe for Sweet Potato casserole. Well, the problem with that is that I don't use a recipe. I just make it and it is different every time. If I have canned potatoes, I use those. If I am out of one thing, I substitute. Like Emeril says, "It ain't rocket science, it's just cookin'."

Anyway, here is one that I had cut outta somewhere that is pretty similar to what I do. You can omit the topping and just dump some marshmallows on it at the end and brown for a few minutes, if you want. My girl chile likes it that way. This year, I am going to try to make something edible out of sweet potatoes and splenda.....we'll see what happens.


Sweet Potato Casserole


The sweet potato stuff:

3 cups cooked, peeled and mashed sweet potatoes ( I would use canned probably)
1 cup sugar ( maybe splenda????)
1/3 cup melted butter
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. ginger ( cinnamon,nutmeg,and ginger are all in pumpkin pie spice- I use that)
¼ cup heavy cream or half and half ( oh, go for the cream - it is Thanksgiving after all)


Topping:
1 cup brown sugar ( the splenda brown sugar mix might do ok here, just use about 1/2 cup)
1 cup broken pecans
1/3 cup all purpose flour
3 T. melted butter

Mix all ingredients for the sweet potato part, except the cream. Beat at medium speed. Then add cream and mix well. Pour into a 2 quart greased dish. I am not sure why the cream has to go in separately, but it does. If you want to live wild, put it in with the other stuff and see what happens.
For the topping, mix all ingredients together with a fork and sprinkle over the top of casserole. Bake for 25-30 minutes in a 325 degree oven. If you are gonna use marshmallows instead of the pecan stuff, go ahead and bake it naked for the 25-30 minutes, then take it out and cover with the marshmallows, then bake another 5-8 minutes to brown in marshmallows.
Hope that helps, Betsy! If you trial run it and it isn't what you wanted, let me know and I'll try again!

No comments: