Sunday, May 24, 2009

What's in the Pantry? Salmon Casserole

I have been trying to use up some of the stuff in my pantry, so I had to figure out something to do with the canned salmon besides "croquette's". I really am not woman enough to just eat it as is out of the can, so I had to come up with something that maybe the family would eat to help me go through it since there are about 6 cans in there.

Using a few other ingredients I had on hand, here is what I came up with. The beauty of it is that since the salmon is already cooked, it only has to heat through and get bubbly and brown on top.

Ingredients:
1 - 14 oz can of pink salmon
1 cup of cornbread stuffing mix ( plus 2 tbsp extra for topping)
1 cup chicken broth or warm water
2 eggs
1/4 cup of chopped bell pepper - frozen is fine
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup grated cheese ( I used jalapeno havarty)
whatever seasonings you like - I used blackening seasoning
butter- about 1 tbsp

1. Put stuffing mix in a mixing bowl and soften with chicken broth or water.
2. Dump the salmon on a plate and pick out the bones and skin. This is disgusting. I think that next time I grill salmon, I am going to keep the leftovers and make this with that.
3. Put salmon on top of stuffing
4. Heat butter in small saute pan and then add bell pepper and onion. Cook on meduim heat until softened. Add to top of salmon.
5. Add salt and pepper and blackening ( or other) seasoning until you think it is right. Mix well.
6. Whisk eggs in a small bowl, then add to mixture, blending in well.
7. Spoon into a greased casserole dish
8 . Top with cheese and the other 2 tbsp of stuffing mix.
9. Bake at 350 until set and bubbly on top.

Feel free to add in whatever you like. A few shrimp might make this even better, or maybe even substitute crab for the salmon. I am thinking that might be my next experiment.

We really liked this, but I feel like it might be better with fresh salmon. It tasted sort of like the seafood stuffing from Costco that they put in their stuffed salmon. Anyway, the girl child and her daddy ate it really well and we finished up the leftover for supper tonight along with various other leftovers from the fridge. I promise to take a picture of the finished product next time.

No comments: