Friday, June 12, 2009

More on the Laundry soap

Thanks for all the comments by phone, email, and facebook about the laundry detergent recipe. I can't take credit for it because it is only on about a million sites and blogs, but I'm glad you got it from me if you like it. There have been a few questions about it, so I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. I have had to read again to find out, but here are the best answers I have so far.

1. It doesn't suds up. Should I use more? No, it isn't supposed to have a lot of sudsing action. Just resist the urge to add more.
2. Can I use it in my frontloader? Yes, but of course, you know that the manufacturer may not uphold your warranty if something happens and you weren't using detergent made especially for those washers.
3. I can't find that soap/ I don't like the smell of that Fels-whatever soap. I have seen references to being able to use any soap, just make sure the proportions are 2 parts soap to 1 part borax and 1 part laundry soda. A lot of Mexican markets stock Zote soap, but I found a place on the web that said to buy the white one and not the pink because the pink is softer and hard to grate. One blogger said she uses Ivory - I may try a batch with that since I have Ivory at home already.
4. I like liquid. You can make this into a liquid if you like. There are instructions out there, but you have to do it in a bucket and let it sit and then it is lumpy and has to be stirred every time. I think the Duggars use it in liquid form, but I am fine with the powder.
5. If you want to add a fragrance, you can put 15-20 drops of your favorite essential oil into the container and shake it up. I get plenty of fragrance from the fabric softener sponges we are using.

If y'all think of any more, just let me know and I will see if I can find the answers.

No comments: