Thursday, February 26, 2009

Just Around the Corner

The red-winged blackbirds are back in force, a sure sign that spring is just around the corner. I am not sure that they completely even leave for the winter, because I think I have seen a lone one occasionally, but for the last week there have been dozens in our yard and on the tall grass around pond behind the house.
There were about 10 in the tree and another half dozen or so on the fence. They were just calling their heads off. The tree is getting ready to burst with leaves too. It's amazing that no matter what is going on in the world, they don't know about it and just keep on doing what they are supposed to do, oblivious to it all.

This is a log that someone left on the porch at work with some baby squirrels in it. It is hollow on top, but solid on the bottom, so I thought it would make a cool planter in the flower bed. There will be elephant ears coming up behind it. They get about 5 feet tall, so they should shadow over it. I'm thinking maybe something purple that hangs down. I'll put impatiens around the foot of it.

Last spring, I THOUGHT I had pulled up all the Easter Lilies in the front bed. Evidently, I didn't get them all because there are as many coming up as there were before. Maybe it is bad juju to pull up Easter Lilies. I felt sort of strange about it when I did it, but there were so many that they were choking each other. These won't be ready at Easter, but they will be tall and blooming by late April. Now I'm thinking about tomato plants and all sorts of things green and pretty.















No comments: