Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Perfect way to start a Tuesday


Last night my girl said she wanted chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast today, and I was going to try and meet the demand, but we were totally out of chocolate chips due to the two batches of "Black Bean Brownies" we made last week. So I made a quick batch of biscuits and some chocolate "gravy" to go with 'em. You can see by her face that it was a welcome substitute.

I know, chocolate and flour and sugar isn't the best thing for breakfast, but it is really no different than cold "kid" cereal with milk . There are many days that they won't eat anything that early at all, so I feel like anytime I can poke SOMETHING down them is a victory. These kids just won't eat yogurt, granola, and eggs for breakfast every day.

Here's the way I make chocolate gravy.....enjoy!

Chocolate Gravy
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp plain flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
dash salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter

In a saucepan, wisk together the dry ingredients, then add the milk and vanilla. Stir over medium heat until thickened. It will only take about 5-6 minutes or so. Remove from heat, add butter and stir in well.

Serve over split, hot, buttered biscuits. ( I made mine from scratch this morning, but frozen ones would be just fine) A fair substitute for biscuits might be a nice warm croissant!
Store leftover "gravy" in a sealed container in fridge. Warm in microwave and serve again tonight over pound cake for dessert!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Bev said...

Next time you make chocolate gravy, holla...it's only my favorite treat in the world! I'll be there early, and I'll bring the bacon :)

PS...I'd love to have goats too, but I think chickens are in my future. Farm fresh eggs?